Morgan Stanley (NYSE: MS) Wealth Management is pleased to celebrate the 10th anniversary of its impact investing platform, which enables clients to align portfolios of any size and complexity with their unique impact goals. The platform was the first of its kind when it launched in 2012 and today has around $70 billion in assets.
The Investing with Impact platform today includes hundreds of investment products designed to advance environmental and social goals while seeking financial market-rate returns, as well as data-driven tools that enable investors to measure their progress against specific impact targets. Approximately 95% of the firm’s wealth management representatives regularly use the platform on behalf of clients.
“Investing with Impact is an important initiative for Morgan Stanley, and we are proud to be a leader,” said Shelley O’Connor, vice president and head of external affairs at Morgan Stanley. “Ten years ago, Morgan Stanley was the first major financial institution to launch a wealth management platform solely dedicated to sustainable and impact investing. Today, with nearly all of our wealth management financial advisors using the platform, we are leading by example and raising the standards for the entire industry while remaining committed to helping our clients achieve their goals.
“This investment approach is most effective when guided by a long-term view and supported by a solid foundation of fundamental research, analysis and advice. The breadth, depth and strength of the impact investing platform creates a scaffolding around client goals, operationalizing them to provide long-term direction,” said Lisa Shalett, chief investment officer of Morgan Stanley Wealth. Management and head of the global investment office. “We are focused on the opportunity to maximize the impact of every dollar invested by focusing not only on the most effective investments, but also on the best ways to help clients take control and stay engaged with their own impact goals.”
Financial advisors and executives gathered for the in-person and virtual event to celebrate the tenth anniversary. Speakers included:
- James Gorman, Chairman and CEO, who reflected on the company’s decision to strengthen its focus on sustainability – beginning with the launch of the Global Sustainable Finance team in 2009 and the first of its kind institute for sustainability. sustainable investment in 2013.
- Jim Detterick, Managing Director, Investing with Impact Director; Kristina Van Liew, Managing Director, Investing with Impact Director, Graystone Consulting and Sandeep Belani, Polk Group Partner and Co-Chief Investment Officer at Graystone Consulting, participated in a panel of practitioners moderated by Jed Finn, Head of Enterprise Solutions and Institutional and Chief Operating Officer, Morgan Stanley Wealth Management. Panelists discussed the evolution of sustainability and impact investing in their businesses as well as the opportunities they see in the future.
- Matthew Slovik, Managing Director, Head of Global Sustainable Finance and Lisa Shalett participated in a panel moderated by Lily Trager, Head of Impact Investing, Morgan Stanley Wealth Management. They discussed the company’s commitment to sustainability, investing in thought leadership, analytics and data, and the connectivity between business units and asset classes that can provide context and support all clients who focus on sustainable and impact investing.
For the past decade, Morgan Stanley has provided financial advisors with tools to help clients make the best decisions possible and achieve their impact goals without sacrificing potential returns.
Together, these tools create a powerful, holistic platform that has been a key differentiator for many clients and financial advisors:
- Morgan Stanley Impact Quotient® (Morgan Stanley IQ) is an award-winning patented technology that helps clients identify and prioritize their impact preferences and assess their current holdings to identify opportunities to more closely align their portfolio with their environmental and social goals.
- Signal Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) is a quantitative manager rating tool that monitors the firm-level progress of asset managers – and their potential – to achieve a more diverse and balanced representation within their management. The tool was developed to promote transparency and accountability in the investment management industry and rates over 300 companies, which collectively represent over 70% of assets under management globally.
- Impact Signal, also a quantitative scoring tool for managers, shows the strength of an investment strategy in environmental and social impact and corporate governance measures, covering more than 15,000 mutual funds, exchange-traded funds (ETFs) and separately managed accounts (SMA ) in the main global asset classes.
- Value-Added Thought Leadership including Morgan Stanley’s exclusive topic guides, which cover a range of special interests, gender diversity, racial equity, climate change, faith-based investing and more.
“What we have developed over the past 10 years is a holistic, end-to-end system that encompasses impact goal discovery, investment advice and impact measurement,” said Lily Trager. “Our financial advisors are deeply committed to helping clients navigate this journey which is a key differentiator.”
For more information on impact investing, visit https://www.morganstanley.com/articles/investing-with-impact.
About Morgan Stanley Wealth Management
Morgan Stanley Wealth Management, a global leader, provides access to a wide range of products and services for individuals, businesses and institutions, including brokerage and investment advisory services, financial and wealth planning, cash management and loan, annuity and insurance, pension and trust products and services.
About Morgan Stanley
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services company providing a broad range of investment banking, securities, wealth management and investment management services. With offices in 41 countries, the company’s employees serve customers around the world, including businesses, governments, institutions and individuals. For more information about Morgan Stanley, please visit www.morganstanley.com.
This document has been prepared for informational purposes only and does not provide personalized investment advice. It has been prepared without taking into account the personal financial situation and objectives of the people who receive it. The strategies and/or investments discussed herein may not be suitable for all investors. Morgan Stanley Smith Barney LLC recommends that investors independently evaluate specific investments and strategies, and encourages investors to seek the advice of a financial advisor. The suitability of a particular investment or strategy will depend on the investor’s individual circumstances and objectives.
This document does not constitute an offer to buy or sell securities, or to participate in any trading strategy. Investing in the market involves the risk of market volatility. The value of all types of investments can go up or down over varying periods of time. Past performance is not indicative or a guarantee of future results.
Returns from a portfolio comprised primarily of Environmental, Social and Governance (“ESG”) conscious investments or Diversity Inclusion (DEI) equities may be lower or higher than those of a more diversified portfolio or where decisions are based solely on investment considerations. Because ESG criteria exclude certain investments, investors may not be able to take advantage of the same opportunities or market trends as investors who do not use these criteria. Diversification does not guarantee profit or protect against loss in declining financial markets.
Contact person for media relations:
914 225 6827